What Is an AFUE Rating and Why Should You Care?
Your home’s furnace is one of the most important appliances when it comes to keeping your family comfortable during the winter months. But have you ever stopped to think about how your furnace works? More specifically, have you ever wondered what AFUE is and why it’s so important? Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about AFUE.
The Meaning of AFUE
AFUE stands for “annual fuel utilization efficiency.” In layman’s terms, AFUE is a measure of how efficiently your furnace burns fuel. The higher the annual fuel utilization efficiency rating, the more efficient your furnace is. For example, a furnace that has an AFUE rating of 80% means that 80% of the fuel burned is used to heat your home while the other 20% goes up the chimney.
Why Does AFUE Matter?
There are many benefits to having a high AFUE rating on your furnace. The most obvious benefit is that it will save you money on your energy bills. A furnace with a high AFUE rating is much more efficient than one with a low rating, and this means that it will use less fuel to heat your home. This can quickly add up to significant savings over the course of a year.
In addition, a high-efficiency furnace produces fewer emissions, making it friendlier to the environment. Finally, these furnaces tend to be much quieter than their low-efficiency counterparts, so you can enjoy a peaceful home without the constant drone of your furnace running in the background. If you’re looking for a new furnace, be sure to choose one with a high AFUE rating to enjoy all of these benefits.
How Is AFUE Measured?
AFUE percentage is calculated by dividing the amount of heat produced by an appliance over the course of a year by the total amount of fossil fuel energy consumed by that appliance during that same time period. The result is expressed as a percentage. For example, if a furnace has an AFUE of 80%, that means that for every 100 BTUs of fuel it consumes, it produces 80 BTUs of heat.
What Is a Good AFUE Rating?
The minimum allowable AFUE rating for new furnaces is 78%. However, most modern furnaces have an AFUE rating of 80% or higher. Some high-efficiency furnaces even have an AFUE rating of 90% or higher. When shopping for a new furnace, be sure to ask about the unit’s AFUE rating so you can make an informed decision.
Features of High AFUE Furnaces
There are several features that contribute to the high energy efficiency of these furnaces. Let’s take a look at some of these features and how they can save you money on your heating bills.
Variable Heat Output
One feature that makes high AFUE furnaces more energy-efficient is their ability to adjust the amount of heat they output to match the needs of your home. For example, if your home is only moderately cold, the furnace will not need to produce as much heat as it would if your home was very cold. This variable heat output means that the furnace will use less fuel overall, which saves you money on your heating bills.
Secondary Heat Exchanger
Another feature that contributes to the high efficiency of these furnaces is their secondary heat exchangers. A secondary heat exchanger is a device that captures wasted heat from the exhaust gases and puts it back into the airflow, preheating the air going into the furnace. This helps the furnace to reach its maximum efficiency and reduces fuel consumption.
High AFUE furnaces also have variable-speed blowers, which means that the blower motor can operate at different speeds depending on the needs of your home. For example, when your home is very cold, the blower motor will run at a higher speed to circulate more air and help heat your home faster. But when your home is only moderately cold, the blower motor will run at a lower speed, using less energy overall.
Call Professionals Today!
Looking for quality heating, air conditioning, and indoor air quality services in Harker Heights, TX? Look no further than Kane Heating And Air Conditioning! Our locally owned and operated business has been serving the area for more than 20 years, so you can be assured that we have the experience and expertise to get the job done right. We offer a wide range of services to meet your needs, and we’re always available to answer any questions you may have. Call us today!